Friday, February 22, 2008

Please, keep your thumb tucked in...

There aren't too many experiences in my life that I can put in the surreal category. However, this week I have had three of them. Yes...that is 1...2...3!!! And really, I can't think of a single one in my 30 years up until now that even comes close to any of these.

When I first saw project prepare on my semester schedule, I was a little taken back. Up until about 4 weeks ago, I thought I had a project to do that no one had told me about. Oh no, it's a group who come it to educate & prepare students for the real world of male & female pelvic exams along with female breast exams. I think they like to call themselves sex educators or something along those lines (they get paid big bucks for this, as they well should).

I had heard horror stories about other students' experiences. We were put in groups of 3 or 4 students with one of these actors/educators. The surreal part comes when they are showing us, the students, how to do the exam on themselves. Then we have to do the exam on the instructor. Now, it's a little weird when they tell you not to look at their face but to look at the body part you are suppose to be examining. Oh, & as you are touching their junk they are saying "yup, that's the right place can you feel it." And, I had better not forget the jokes & laughing while your hands are where they should never be. The lady who I had to do the breast exam on was BIG, & I mean big as in 2 small children residing on the front of her chest.
I found that in all exams it was best for me to put on my game face & go to my happy place; I just detached myself from the situation.

We were educated on how to talk to the patient & how to make the patient as comfortable as possible. Here are some things that I learned...
1. Whatever you do, do not use the phrase "spread 'em." It has a negative connotation for some patients.

2. There is to be no "cutting" with your fingers, as in a scissor motion, just a sweeping like a windshield wiper.

3. Use plenty of lube.

4. Caution...hemorrhoids below!!!

5. And, whatever you do...DO NOT release the speculum until you have pulled it out a little; it can be very painful, or so I've been told. Don't worry I did it correctly.


I found out that I'm a great ovary finder (even though I couldn't feel a thing), & I can do a DRE without any discomfort to the male patient.
Overall, I can say that it was a good experience, & they made the situations very comfortable & easy to ask questions. However, it this whole experience has confirmed to me that I don't want to be in a practice where we have to do any of these exams.

Oh...& PLEASE, remember to keep your thumb tucked in at all times!!!

4 comments:

Jaimi said...

LOL funny!
...Glad it was you and not me.

Mrs. Misses said...

Wow, hi! This is Allison (Green) Moschetti from Orem High. I got your link from Shannon Curran and wasn't prepared for this post! haha! This is so awesome that you are becoming so educated. Very interesting! Hope you don't mind me dropping by!

Shannon said...

HAHAHAHAH!!!! That was the BEST POST BY FAR!!! I think your post should be nominated as post of the month! Oh man, I don't think I would have been able to handle that kind of situation. Sure I've had my share of "exams", but I sure wouldn't like to be at the south end of that exam. By the way what is a speculum??

Kristine said...

Speculum = the thing that goes in the south end during the exam.