Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Making Chocolates

Last night was my first Enrichment activity in my new ward. I got there a few minutes late which I thought would be ok because most things are MST (Mormon Standard Time); however, they had already started. It was a chocolate making activity, & the girl was showing how to make truffles. I felt like I was in at a cooking show; she was really good at demonstrating. She had a bunch of flavors ready for us to make rustic truffles. I went for the plain chocolate, because I'm not much for flavored chocolate girl. Then she had a couple of fillings for dipping, wonder candy (AKA Almond Joy) & buckeye balls. It was so much fun, & I met a ton of people, more than I have outside of school since being here. They were all very friendly & really nice. I just hope I can remember all their names. I just ate my truffle, & it was soooo delicious. After eating it, I thought I should have taken picture; maybe next time 'cause I'm going to be making some of those. I'm still not use to this blogging thing.

Here's the Chocolate Truffles recipe...
7 oz Milk chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 c Heavy cream
1 1/2 t Flavored syrup (Hazelnut, Amaretto, Raspberry)
1/2 t Vanilla extract

Rolling Options equal to 1 c of your choice:
Hazelnuts, Almonds, cocoa powder, powder sugar, dipping chocolate, etc

Chop nuts & place them on a sheet pan. Roast in oven @ 325 for 10 min. Set aside to cool
Place chocolate in a bowl.
Heat cream in a small saucepan until it boils. Immediately pour the hot cream through a fine-meshed sieve into the bowl with the chocolate. With a wire whisk, slowly stir the cream & chocolate together until the chocolate is completely melted. (If the chocolate doesn't melt completely, place the bowl over a pan of simmering water & stir for a few minutes just until it melts.) Whisk in the flavored syrup & vanilla. Cover & chill for 45 minutes to 1 hour until pliable but firm enough to scoop.

With 2 teaspoons or a 1 1/4 in ice cream scoop, make dollops of the chocolate mixture & place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes, until firm enough to roll into rough spheres. Get a little cocoa powder or powder sugar on your hands & then shape the truffle (the chocolate won't stick to your hands if you do this). Roll the chocolate in the toppings & chill again. Truffle are best when they're allowed to set overnight in the refrigerator.


1 comment:

Shannon said...

WOOHOO!! I have been wanting to learn how to make a really good truffle. I'm so going to have to use this recipe. Glad you had a good time at home-making. :)