Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Dreams

I've been thinking about dreams tonight as sleep has been evading me.  It's now 1 am.  I have this one dream, or rather I should say nightmare, that I had as a little girl that I can still remember.  It's funny because I usually don't remember my dreams.  They are usually fleeting, & as I wake up from one I try to hold onto it but to no avail.  I really wish that I could remember the good ones, where my prince charming comes along & sweeps me off my feet or when I find some great fashion deal, instead of the still to this day scary or disturbing one.

In brief my childhood nightmare...  I remember going into our basement (which I was always afraid of for some reason) to look for my dad & brothers.  Instead of the two middle bedrooms, there was one big room with two closet doors leading into it.  The hinge of the door was far enough away from the door frame that when the door was opened I could slip between the two.  I remember doing just that, & as I entered the room I saw a man with his back to me in a red & black plaid shirt like my dad wore, although as he turned it wasn't my dad, but some stranger with a shot gun holding my dad & brothers hostage.  At that point, my mom arrived & the man proceeded to take my entire family into our storage room.  It was then that I woke up.

I can't say that this dream could just be classified to a childish nightmare, because it still disturbs me to this day.  And, the fact that I can still remember it albeit not as vividly is a testament to what I felt that night I woke up...the real fear of something happening to my family whether it was 20+ years ago or tonight.

I would just like to have some nice dreams to remember that could replace that nightmare.  No prince charming riding to save me on his white steed, but maybe one in a Aston 
Martin.  Yeah, that would be a VERY nice dream indeed. 

No comments: