Friday, June 13, 2008

Drug Pens


In the real world, pens are called by their brand names (Bic, Pilot, Zebra, Mont Blanc etc), but in the world of medicine, there are drug pens. Some are highly coveted. Ask my brother, Jon, about his Viagra pen; it's really nice, & I will never try to steal it again. Somethime, they are crap, but other times, you can't find a better pen out there (sorry Mont Blanc). I thought when I did my stint at the vet that it might be unique for us to fight over drug pens, because they were such a rare commodity. However, I was wrong. The trend continued to my time at the U of U's derm department. If you put your pen down, it will be gone forever. That seems to be the common consensus in the medical field; you put it down...you kiss it goodbye. It's a tough world out there, & you had better be ready to fight to the death when it comes to your drug pen.

Over Memorial Day weekend, I went to San Antonio, TX for the national PA conference. My last day there was heaven, due to the fact that it was exhibition day. Oh yeah...we're talking all types of free swag from the pharmacy reps. I got a journal with my name engraved on it, a stapler-tape dispenser combo, note pads, coasters, bags, a migraine book & the ever so popular pens. I got 15 in all along with one retractable pencil. Some of the pens are soso, but there are a couple that are wonderful; those are the ones with my name engraved on them (you might be able to see them in my left hand in the pic), as well as the silver one next to them in my other hand. I have one with the words that float inside the top & one that I haven't seen in years...the four color pen. That's right I'm the proud owner of a pen that has 4 different colors of ink that appear with the touch of my finger.


Next year, the conference is in San Diego, & I'm hoping to come home with at least 50 pens. I'm not going to be picky like I was this year. I'm going for the gold; I want to win the award for the most pens collected in one day.

So, here's to the drug pens...may you always have high regards in the medical community!

OK...update...as I was going through a bag of my conference stuff I found 15 more pens & 3 highlighters; that makes 40. I guess I'll have to set a higher goal than 50 for next year.

5 comments:

Jaimi said...

There you are---I was beginning to worry about you!

Kristine said...

I've been around. I've just been really lazy & haven't wanted to do anything, including blogging. There will be more to come; don't worry.

Kelli said...

one year in Michigan we were starting to get quite a collection of drug pens. I knew we'd be moving soon and I didn't want all of those pens to take up space in the moving truck so I tried to get rid of them. I wrapped them up in a cake mix box and used it as a white elephant gift. I almost caused a fist fight to break out at a ward party over the drug pens.

Kristine said...

I remember that story. I hope to one day be the giver of drug pens. I have a couple for Summer & Sierra (I hope they will like them), but not one for Cole (I know better than that).

ryan said...

Sweet pens! Some of my prize drug pens is the one with a purple ape on top - don't ask me why they chose it, one that is clear, but lights up blue - nicknamed "Sting", and one the is about a foot long - as big around as a garden house and weighs about 3 lbs. I pretend I am the President when I use that one!

Where's the one that looks like a syringe though...